At Fort Collins Habitat for Humanity, we recognize the value in engaging youth in their community through fun, educational volunteer opportunities. Volunteering can be a powerful experience for all ages, but for children and teens it serves as a great opportunity to teach empathy, hard work, and community-mindfulness. We offer teens ages 16+ the opportunity to volunteer at our construction site and ReStore, but there are also a ton of great ways that younger children can get involved with Habitat!
There are a variety of ways that individuals and youth groups can get involved. Some examples are:
- Hosting a penny drive at school to benefit Habitat
- Organizing a painting party to paint the studs of a Habitat home before construction
- Helping with special events that allow volunteers of all ages
- Attending Dedication ceremonies and bringing canned goods to fill the homeowner’s pantry
- Having a Habitat partner family speak to your youth group or organization about their journey
- Organizing a new and gently-used book drive at your school to benefit our annual Books for Humanity event
- Collect donations of small household items to take to our ReStore
- Learn how your high school can implement its own Geometry in Construction program
- Look into whether your school offers matching grants or participates in philanthropic programs like Give Next
- And many more!
If you have ideas or would like more information on how your group can get involved, please contact Alex at 970-488-2609.
Check out what our youth partners have been up to recently:
Youth come from everywhere!
- Local middle school and high schools
- Church/Faith youth groups
- Youth Service Organizations (ex: Boy and Girl Scouts and local youth clubs)
- Construction programs at local high schools and junior colleges. Habitat is currently partnering with students in the Geometry in Construction classes at Poudre High School to build a home.
- Front Range Community College–drafting class helps to review our house plans
If you know of a group of youth that would like get involved please contact Alex Statham-Lardner at 970-488-2609 or AStatham@FortCollinsHabitat.org.