Habitat for Humanity is a Christian ministry that welcomes all people and relies on partnerships with a variety of local churches and faith organizations to build homes, communities and hope. If you are interested in learning more about becoming a partner church or organization, please contact Erika Nossokoff, Faith and Global Engagement Manager, at 970-488-2606 or ENossokoff@FortCollinsHabitat.org. Below are various ways to engage.
The 2016 Faith In Action team
Construction Site Volunteering: Sign up to serve together as teams/groups on Saturdays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays. Homes are currently in various stages of construction at 6602 Avondale Road (Trilby west of College). Lunches or babysitting could be provided by others in your church/organization. Future homeowners are generally on site on Saturdays. Teams of up to 15 people could be:
- Staff teams
- Ministry teams
- College or young adult groups
- Small/life groups
- Parent and teens (minimum age 16)
- Bible study groups
- Stud blessing parties
- Vacation Bible School Curriculum from Habitat for Humanity
- Fundraising events (meals, craft sales, garage sales, silent auctions that could include non-tangible items like babysitting, yard work or repairs)
- Collection Day with Photo Collage. Everyone in your church or faith organization can donate items to the ReStore with pick-up of items on the same day. Pictures taken of each donor with their items that day, assembled into a collage.
Weekend Experience (mini mission trip): Be one of the first churches/organizations to offer a mini-mission trip without the travel time or expenses. This customizable weekend includes:
- Friday evening dinner, worship, Bible study, educational component about poverty housing, and interaction with a Habitat homeowner (optional overnight together)
- Saturday includes 8 hours volunteering at the construction site along with other volunteers who may or may not be Christians - a great opportunity to represent Christ in a positive light
- Saturday evening includes dinner, worship, and reflection about the serving experience (optional overnight together)
- An optional Sunday morning could include celebration with your congregation and sharing God stories about the weekend
Global or National Involvement:
Habitat for Humanity International builds homes in every U.S. state and about 70 countries. The Fort Collins affiliate tithes from undesignated donations to global builds. Your church/organization could select a global site to either donate to financially and/or send mission trip team(s).
Individual Involvement Opportunities:
Board of Directors, Advisory Board, Faith Few Construction Crew, Housing Committee, Faith in Action Team of Champions, Family Selections Committee or ReStore Committee.
Full or shared house sponsorship: This is a total cost of $100,000, which $30,000 of the total can be of approved supplies. Two or three churches can share the entire sponsorship amount.
- Ask church/faith organization members who own or lead businesses to donate and receive publicity/recognition
- Ask church/faith organization members if they have employer matched giving programs
- Have fun, community-building fundraisers (meals, craft sales, garage sales, silent auctions that could include non-tangible items like babysitting, yard work, repairs, or meals)
Partial “Stone Soup” house sponsorship: Because not every church /faith organization can sponsor an entire home, we offer this popular option each year. Like a delicious stone soup where everyone combines the ingredients that they have, our Stone Soup build combines resources to sponsor a home. All churches/faith organizations that contribute financially are considered partial house sponsors. Thrivent Financial, a financial services organization that helps Christians be wise with money and live generously, is generally the anchor sponsor for this build.